Chris Bird, a Communications Product Manager visited All Saints College to discuss careers in the advanced manufacturing industry at Ampcontrol. Chris gave a presentation to students of what the life of an electrical engineer truly entails and for those undecided about their future career path, a chance to listen and ask questions.
Much interest was shown by students currently studying STEM subjects. Such as Physics, Engineering, Maths and Electronics.
Some of the key points that Chris made include:
- Engineering is intellectually challenging and rewarding
- There are many disciplines of engineering such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and electrotechnology engineering.
- Engineering plays an important role in society today and make significant difference in developing countries
- Opportunities to travel and work overseas
- Engineering is a constantly changing and evolving career that solves problems for the benefit of the greater population in different types environments.
Students from All Saints High were engrossed for the entire presentation. Some shared their following thoughts on the presentation:
“- much better than all the careers shows and visits to institutions – they are just usually students talking to you about their study – but Chris was a real engineer with real, interesting examples from around the world….. work that he was involved in and the problems …and how they were solved..”
“ I loved the way he covered so many areas… he was very knowledgeable, and it made me want to find out more about the profession….”
“.. he seemed very passionate about his work and seemed to really enjoy the work and how it made a difference to the world…”