St Peter’s traces its heritage back to 1838 when a school for boys was established in Hunter Street Maitland. The school moved to the present site in Free Church Street in 1874 and developed a strong Marist tradition with the Marist Brothers running the school from 1898 to 1984. In 1985 the school was handed to lay leadership under the auspice of the Diocese of Maitland Newcastle. Today the school continues to work with both the Marist Brothers and the Diocese. With a strong focus on Catholic Identity, Quality Education, Cultural, Sporting and Social Justice Programs the school is dedicated to the development of the whole person within a structured and nurturing community.
St Peter’s is proudly a Marist school and the story of St Marcellin Champagnat, founder of the Marist Brothers, is one of inspiration for us here and Marists around the world. In this tradition the campus is well known for in the broader community – being a welcoming and hospitable place; promoting a strong Marist charism; achieving outstanding academic results; having a talented and committed staff; and being a school where students obviously have a great love for and loyalty to their school.
9 Free Church Street
Phone: (+61 2) 4933 6933
Fax (+61 2) 4934 1167